Friday, August 24, 2012

Thesis.

So I just turned in my thesis today, finally. Yay! More than a year of hard work *ahum* finally finished. Now I'm crossing my fingers and hoping my promoter thinks it's good as well, because he has done less than nothing the entire year, except being enthusiastic about my idea. But anyway, now I'm done with it (hopefully)!

What have I been working on an entire year, you ask? I have been studying to become a translator in English and Italian (and Dutch), so my thesis had to have something to do with language. I've always wanted to do something with the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis. (Gesundheit! No seriously, what?) Basically, two people a few decades ago decided that language is connected with thoughts. The language you speak has an influence on the way you experience reality and think about everything. Sadly, this theory wasn't very popular, because it's never really been proven - which is all Whorf's fault in my opinion, but enough about that already.
Because the hypothesis isn't really accepted, I've decided to apply it to fictitious languages! This means I've been working an entire year with linguistic relativity (a more accepted term for the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis), combined with Klingon, Quenya (one of Tolkien's Elvish languages), and some other science fiction book that no one ever heard about. (If you must know, it's called The languages of Pao, by Jack Vance. See, told you no one ever heard about it.)

So, yes, I did just spend an entire year analyzing Klingons and Elves, and made it all science-y! I'm quite proud of myself. And the best part is, the theory I've been testing actually has results. I already predicted it would at the beginning of last year, so I'm pleased to learn I was right. Language and thought are connected in made-up languages. 
I won't bore you with the details, the important thing is that I just found the science in science fiction and fantasy! Hurray for science!

Now, to enjoy another full month of vacation. *Sigh*. Let's see if I can find some text books for next year already...

3 comments:

  1. Sapir-Worf <3 (see what I did there?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, GODDAMMIT. Now I can't use that for my thesis xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, of course you can! If you need some inspiration, I'll send you my thesis. After it's been approved of course. ^^
      Also, dammit, I wish I would have thought of that Sapir-Worf pun and put it in my thesis. :(

      Delete