Monday, March 18, 2013

Rainbow cake.

Saturday, for a friend's birthday (the wonderful Laura), I made a rainbow cake!
I've never made one before, and to be honest, it's quite the adventure.

I used Martha Stewart's recipe combined with my own ideas, and some Google skills to find out where to get all the ingredients. 
Turns out, you can't just use any kind of food colouring in rainbow cakes! They need special gel based colouring stuff, to make the colours so bright and flashy. Luckily, there's a specialized shop nearby that sells all kinds of baking equipment and ingredients (which I only found out about because some online shop suggested I go there). With red, yellow, and blue, I was all set to start baking!
Halfway through the baking process with three layers finished, I have decided this is one of the most fun cakes to make ever! It's so colourful and sweet, even if it's a lot of work having only space for one layer at a time in my tiny oven. An entire afternoon filled with baking, and some writing in between: my weekend is made.

It turned out great, and even people who don't particularly like cake in general were very fond of it. Sadly I forgot to take a picture, but I might get one later from Laura.

Rainbow Cake Adventure: success!

No comments:

Post a Comment