Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Yoga.

Yoga is amazing. It seems to be something I've been missing my entire life, without even realizing. It's the perfect combination of physical and mental work out, two things I could always use more of.
I started about a month ago, an hour and a half every Friday evening together with some family and friends. One of my aunts is actually teaching our small class, which is great. This way I don't have to deal with lots of new people and strange teachers (which is always hard for me). And so, there's more room to just be myself and do the exercises without worrying what other people think, or if I'm doing something wrong. I just do, (almost) without thinking.

At the end of each yoga session, we meditate for a bit. I've never been really good at emptying my mind and all that, but after the exercises, somehow it's a lot easier. The first time I actually shed a few tears from experiencing the joy of meditating like I never have before. I'm not sure how to describe it, but it felt amazing. Like I suddenly understood everything about my tiny, insignificant life, my place in the world and my purpose here.
Sadly, this feeling doesn't last. After the class is over, I start thinking again, concerning myself with everyday issues and other non-important things. But I return every Friday, and feel inspired again.
One day, I'll get the hang of it. I'll learn to balance these two lives: the everyday practical one, and the all-surrounding spiritual one. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment